Sunday, August 25, 2013

Lighting Up the Dark World We Live In

Lighting up the Dark World

            As you can see, this is the name of my blog, and it’s based off of Matthew 5:16, which says, “Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.” This is my goal, as it should be all believers’ to bring glory to God and to please him. As believers, we should be letting our light shine for Jesus and not be hiding it. Romans 1:16 says “For I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ…” we cannot be truly shining our light for the LORD if we are ashamed of the gospel.

            The world is a horrible, twisted place where evil abounds. Since Matthew 5:16 clearly states that we are to be lighting up the darkness, I want you to imagine this: You are driving down a dark street, where maybe a few people have dim motion-sensor lights that flicker on when you drive by, and then, as you come around the bend, there’s a house that’s decked-out in bright white Christmas Lights (even though it is not Christmas). Now let me define a few of the things that I mentioned. The houses with dim lights that only brighten when someone is looking represent what I refer to as “Christians”.

            “Christians” (please note the quotation marks) are the ones that have the motions down, and they appear to be pretty good believers when someone is watching, but behind closed doors, they’re the same (if not worse) than people of the world. The next think I need to define is the street, which signifies the path of your life. All of the houses lining the streets are everybody you meet in your life and everyone that is around you. The very bright house with all of the lights represents how a Christian should look. I’m not talking about showiness, and not like a “Look at me, I’m doing this, this, and this” mentality, but a heart that has one goal, and that is to serve the LORD and glorify Him in all that we do.

            What does it look like to be that house shining for Christ? Well, look at Romans 1:16, which says, “I am not ashamed of the gospel of Christ…” are you ashamed of the gospel of Christ? What you love the most will spill over into every area of your life, whether your talk, your actions, or your thoughts. Do you talk about God constantly or think about Him constantly? Or is it Call of Duty, sports, movies, or your girlfriend. Those things aren’t necessarily bad, but if that’s your main focus, then I have a news flash for you. When it has all been said and done, your death-to-kill ratio, or knowledge of World Series winners, or ability to quote nine movies WILL NOT MATTER. God isn’t going to sit there and say, “Wow! Christian you know the Phillies’ roster and statistics like the back of your hand! Get in here!” No, He is going to say, “Do I have a relationship with you?” If yes, you are welcomed in, and if no, He says, “I know you not, depart from my sight.”


            I truly hope that if you are a Christian, God is the NUMBER ONE thing on your mind and in your conversations. A couple of years ago, I was a fanatic about pretty much every sport, except hockey. I could tell you almost every professional baseball player and their stats, but I wasn’t reading the Bible, and I was not exactly following Matthew 5:16. This past year I’ve taken a step back and ditched my original priorities list and started a new one. There is a three-step process to changing your priorities and basically changing your life. Step 1- Put off the old man (Colossians 3). Step 2- Renew your mind. Step 3- Put on the new man. Simple as that. Pray, and ask the LORD to draw you closer to Himself, you’ll be amazed at how much it changes you. So, let me conclude with this one phrase, “Our goal is to be a light in this dark world, but if we are not adequately equipped for fulfilling the task of illumination, we must renew both mind and body to be of use to the mission before us.”

No comments:

Post a Comment